So, kinda big update everybody! I've been informed that I am slated for surgery on October 27th.
I hesitated a little bit before writing this post because I've already learned that things can change quickly and didn't want to provide false updates. Then it occurred to me that the whole point of writing any of this in the first place was to inform others about the process (and maybe hopefully possibly encourage someone out there to consider maybe hopefully possibly looking into kidney donation themselves) and that leaving out parts of the story just because they might change kind of defeats the purpose. So I shall continue.....
A couple of days ago I emailed my coordinator to see if she had gotten any word back on the blood work that was sent to North Carolina. She told me that the crossmatch was negative (which is good) and that she had a call scheduled for that afternoon to discuss the exchange. The next day I told myself I was going to wait until noon before I emailed again to check on things. I made it all the way until 8:30am before I caved and sent an email trying to be breezy and casual: "Did you find out anything noteworthy during the call yesterday?" She immediately responded with:
Yes! I think this may well happen! You were approved by the committee in Charlotte. All other centers are on board. They are proposing a surgery date of October 27th with preops on October 21st. Are you ok with that?
I had a few big thoughts hop and pop into my brain when I read my email. The first thought was "Woo hoo! Full steam ahead!" I was excited that we were progressing further to the end goal which was the surgery. My next thought was that October 27th is two days before my birthday meaning that I would be spending my birthday in the hospital. I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate my birthday than celebrating someone receiving a new kidney. My third thought was a little more yikes-y. My husband and I sold our house and our moving day is November 2nd. As of today we haven't found a new house sooooooooo in theory I could be leaving the hospital and heading to a relative's house instead of my own home. Not my first choice BUT definitely do-able. The house search continues and I am praying and hoping that we can find a new house early enough to move into before surgery but if not I am thankful for the blessing of relatives and friends who are willing to potentially take us in if needed.